Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Must Read....

  Last Christmas when I was home to Virginia, my mom shared with me a book she thought i'd like, Heaven is for Real.  Well, turns out, she was 100% right.  I strongly urge each of you to go to the bookstore now and pick it up.  It's a quick read and worth the time invested. 

I liked this book for a number of reasons.  It's a wonderful story about a little boy who just happens to be the same age as my Matthew.  About his trip to Heaven, sitting on Jesus' lap, meeting family members, seeing the Angel's wings.  I'm getting goosebumps just imagining how beautiful it really is. 

As parents, we all struggle with explaining to our children what Heaven looks like.  What God might look like and most certainly, what Jesus looks like.  We can find answers in the Bible.  We can find answers at church.  We can find answers by googling Heaven.  But think about it for a second, are those really answers or just assumptions?  Yes, the Bible is full of answers if you take the time to dig into it but at the same time, there is a lot of different interpretations of the Bible.  What you read on your page may appear differently to me.  We hear all the time about people seeing a bright light and  having this wonderful feeling come over them.  I believe this to be partially true.  I believe there is a Heaven and I hope to one day be able to be there.  In reading this little boy's account of what Heaven looks like, I'm excited to see it for myself.  I think there is something to be said about the innocence of children.  Matthew amazed me by taking the time to read the book as well.  I expected some questions and concerns as he read it but the grace of God is wonderful.  Matthew took a different path and was excited himself.  It was one of the most enjoyable conversations I've had with Matthew.  To be able to sit back and discuss what Jesus looks like, for real.  To talk about all the colors of heaven, the holy spirit, our family members, our pets.  AMEN!  I love when I can see God working through Matthew in a way that lights him up. 

A few weeks ago upon finishing the book, I was stuck at the car dealership having some repairs done on the van.  I was frustrated, irritated, and just being snotty about having to spend my day in the repair shop due to recalls that shouldn't have occurred.  And once again, God stepped in to put my attitude in check.  As I was sitting there, two older women were discussing a book regarding a Pastor's trip to Hell.  Of course, I piped in (since a converstation is much more entertaining than watching the news).  I mentioned Heaven is for Real and both ladies immediatly went onto their kindles and downloaded the book.  As we were talking about it, one of the salesmen stopped in the waiting area.  He mentioned he was a Baptist Pastor/Car Salesman.  Kind of an oxymoron if you ask me.  Regardless, the gentleman joined in our converstation curious about both books we were discussing.  Then, he turned to me and asked if there was anything in my book about the children.  I was curious as to why he would ask this, so I questioned him as to why.  He went onto tell me that he and his wife had lost a child and he's always wondered what happened.  I about fell outta my chair.  I told him that he needed to read this book.  I went onto tell him that a few years ago, we lost my nephew.  It was devasting to my brother, his wife, and our entire family.  We had never had to suffer the loss of losing an infant.  I further mentioned that we always wondered the same thing.  Did Parker go to Heaven?  Was there a reason God wanted him in Heaven rather than to be spoiled here on earth?  Well, while I may never know the answer as to why, I do know what happened to Parker.  Jesus loves the little children.  I am 100% confident that Parker is in Heaven having the most wonderful time.  I won't go into exactly what the book says.  I'll tell you exactly the same thing as what I told that salesman.  You NEED to get this book.  It will put your worries and concerns to rest and bring you peace.  With that, the salesman walked away thanking me for this recommendation. 

I realize that I didn't change the world by sharing this book with the salesman but I did touch his heart.  And in that moment, I forgot that I was stuck in the repair shop waiting room.  Instead of being a grump, God pushed me onto another path and showed me that it's not always about me.  Sometimes we are placed in situations for a purpose.  I think my being there was planned before I even knew it so that I could bring peace to a hurting father's heart and maybe even a little glimmer of hope that his child is ok.

To my astonishment, the TODAY show had the entire Burpo family on yesterday.  Evidently, this book has hit high marks on the NY Times Bestseller list.  I smiled when I saw them on the tv.  Matthew was even excited.  It got me thinking...we see negative on the tv all the time.  Death, crime, destruction, choas, etc.  It is awesome to see that God's word is making headlines.  I think many times we forget that we are still children of God.  He's our ultimate Father.  It's a shame that too often we forget that everything is in his control and that he has everything under control.  I was impressed that the TODAY showed broached the subject of Heaven. 

All in all, after reading this book, I now can stand firmly in my faith and know, Heaven is for Real.  There isn't a doubt in my mind.  Should I have ever questioned?  Probably not but we are human and often what we can't see or feel leaves us wondering if it is real.  I hope to have many many years left on this earth.  I hope to see Matthew graduate from high school, then college.  To see him get married and to be a Grandma one day (not too soon mind you).  But when it is time for me to meet my Heavenly Father above, I will be so excited.  To meet Jesus, to see God, to experience the glory of Heaven...one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment