Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Saturday, May 10, 2014

Do we ever really get it?



Over the past few months, the Evoy household has experienced changes.  Some good, some bad.  Some stretching us, some forcing us to look upwards, and some causing us to take that step out on faith.  Faith.  That's a strong word and means so many things.  Whenever I see the word faith, it makes me think of a gift my parents gave me.  It's a rock with the words, "Sometimes you just have to take the leap, and build your wings on the way down."  Isn't that what faith is?  Taking a leap and trusting that God will build your wings on the way down? 

Webster's Dictionary defines faith as believing or trusting.  But if we really took a moment to break apart that one little word, it becomes so much more.  Faith envelopes everything that Christians stand on.  Without faith, who could we place our trust in.  Without faith, there is no hope.  Without hope, nothing can be accomplished.  Jesus even uses the word faith repeatedly in the gospels. 

In the book of Matthew, Jesus reminds us over and over and over again about faith.  Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him.  Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping.  The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. (Matthew 8:23-26)


Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  But when he saw
the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”


 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” (Matthew 14:29-31)


He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matthew 17:20)


Jesus is telling us to keep the faith.  Remain faithful in Him.  Place everything we have in His capable hands.  The story of Peter stepping out onto the water reminds us so sweetly that if we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, our faith can overcome anything.  If we place everything we have securely at His feet, we can move mountains and overcome challenges that look hopeless. 

So, clearly this post is being spoken directly to me.  The Holy Spirit can move you when you least expect it and cause you to stop and take account of your actions and thoughts.  I will be openly honest in saying that I have been that follower of Christ with little faith lately.  And I have to ask myself, what blessing am I missing because I'm so focused on the "can'ts" and "have not's"?  You would think that if I took a moment to really look back over the path my family has taken and seen ALL that God has done, I would be the first one to not lose faith.  But we are all human, right?  We all fall into the same pitfalls.  The same cycle of worrying and fretting over what we can't do and we forget that through God we CAN do. 

I don't know what lays ahead for my family.  As one of my sweet girlfriends reminded me recently, God puts us in wilderness moments so we can rely on Him.  We are on a path through the wilderness.  A path that has a few bumps and bugs.  But it is a path that God has laid out before us.  Which way the path will turn, I don't know but my God does.  When will we find the end, only my God knows.  It makes no sense to worry over things that I can not control. 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4: 6-7


I don't know how God is gonna work through what he's handed our family BUT I am excited to see what is yet to come.  So, with this blog being posted, I am challenging myself to give up the worry and anxiety.  Give up the trying to control the situation.  Give up trying to open doors to the path that I want for our family and instead, I'm going to let God's Will prevail.  I'm going to committ to praying that God's Will be done in my household.  If that means that we stay put with what we've got, we stay put and I accept that and praise Him.  If that means that the path twists and turns us back to other pastures, I will accept that and praise Him.  I have so much to be thankful for and so many blessings that have already been bestowed upon my household.  There is absolutely NOTHING God won't do for his children.  And since I am one of his beloved children, he will always, ALWAYS, work all things for my good.  My Father in heaven has got it all figured out.  So now, I wait with anticipation for the unveiling....



Father, you know the worries of my heart and the concerns I have.  Lord only You can know what is best for our family.  Just as you make sure the birds of the air are feed and the flowers are watered, you will make sure that our family is provided for.  You always give us what we need when we need it.  And while I don't know what the future may hold, I trust in You.  I surrender this obstacle to you.  Guide our steps along this path in the wilderness so that we may walk out the other side in Your Will for our lives.  I praise You for the blessings yet to come and for the way you will work this out for our good.  It is in Your strong name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment