Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Special Mother's Day

Mother's Day. Every year this "hallmark holiday" comes around and every year, I have mixed emotions on the subject. Personally, in my heart of hearts, isn't every day a mother's day? Aren't we mother's 24/7, 365? So, ok, there's a day set aside to make sure that you are treated a little sweeter and spoiled a little more but honestly, shouldn't this be the case the remaining 364 days of the year?

Every mother's day since Matthew was born, Chris and I have been together. Every mother's day Chris has done his part in making that day a little more special. I've gotten necklaces, bracelets, dinner out, ice cream treats. You name it, he's probably done it. And while I thank him for every single sweet moment he's given me on mother's day, I have to say that THIS Mother's Day was my favorite.

Call me sappy but sometimes it's the simple things that happen that you don't expect that make it a day to remember. Let me elaborate....

I woke up to the traditional Mother's Day greeting. Coffee was brewed and happy eyes said good morning when I entered the kitchen. Breakfast wasn't prepared because I had told the two men in my life, I didn't want a special breakfast, just coffee.

At my place on the kitchen table sat a card Matthew had made at school. Here's what it said:


Hats off to MOM by: Matthew Allen Johnson-Ebert

My mom wears many hats in our family. My Mom is a teacher. She taught me how to play video games.

My mom is a cook. I love it when she makes taco's.

My mom is a nurse. She always makes me feel better when she cures my scars.

My mom is a magician. She can always find lost things. Once she found my belt.

My mom is a sanitation worker. When she sees my room she says, "Clean your room Matthew!".

My mom is a chauffeur. She drives me to Washington DC.

My mom is the best mother ever!


How sweet is that? Outta the mouths of babes, right? I felt content with my wonderful card that clearly Matthew had taken at least a few minutes to think about. Then the most unusual thing happened.

I have no idea where it came from and the minute it happened, I didn't question. Matthew came over and sat on my lap. He just sat there. Just like he used to when he was younger. He sat on my lap. For a moment, I held my breath. I couldn't believe it. What on earth brought this on? But this was no time to question. If this was only going to last a moment, I'd better savor the flavor. Oddly enough, it lasted more than a mere moment. Matthew sat on my lap and we had a conversation about how much he loved me and how much he misses me when I'm gone and how much he's going to miss me when he's at his father's this summer. I just rubbed his hair and kissed the top of his head- still in shock. Oh how I've missed these little intimate moments that mom's share with their children. And even though our "moment" only lasted a few minutes, it was wonderful! I couldn't wait to go upstairs and tell Chris what had happened. The look on Chris' face when I shared the story with him, priceless. He knows that moments like that are few and far between and he knew regardless of what else was in store for my mother's day, it was already complete.

I'd been given the greatest gift. It wasn't store bought, it wasn't a trip to somewhere special, it wasn't dinner out...it was a few minutes of pure bliss from the innocence of a child. A few minutes that I will treasure always because Matthew took the time to share his love with me.


And for those of you who are curious, yes, I did get a little package. Matthew picked me out a charm for my necklace. It's a beautiful heart that says MOM on the inside. According to Chris, Matthew picked this out all by himself because he knew I would just love it. I'm truly blessed, aren't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment