Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 13- Perpective

Are you a glass half empty or a glass half full kind of person?  Does your cup runneth over with blessings or do you see the excess as stress? 

In today's busy world, we can easily get lost in the daily grind.  Getting the kids to school, getting to work, picking the kids up from school, making dinner, getting the kids to soccer, dance, yada yada yada...and the list of "to do's" goes on and on and on until finally you crash into bed wondering where your day went.  In the hustle and bustle, it can be so easy to lose your perspective.  When you're world gets caught up in the craziness of the day, you need to slow down and turn your thoughts to God. 

One of my favorite scripture verses is Psalm 46:10, Be still and know that I am God.  How often do we forget to just be still?  It is in the quiet times that we have the opportunity to pray to God, give our worries over to him, and to hear him speak to us.  When we take the time to be still and listen, we are blessed with the presence of our Creator.  When we allow the business of the day to rule our lives, we deprive ourselves of the pure joy that we could be receiving.

As I'm sitting here typing this, the story of Mary and Martha comes to mind. 

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42

Are you a Mary, quick to listen, taking the time to be still with the Lord?  Are you a Martha, busy in the kitchen, preparing the feast and missing out on all the opportunities the Lord has for you?  Think about it for a second and be honest with yourself.  I have given this some thought in my life and if I had to be completely honest, I think I'm a little of both but at times but more often than not,  I'm more of a Martha.  I want things cleaned up, organized, scheduled, and just so.  But if I actually took more time to just sit and listen to the Lord, how much more relaxed and blessed would I feel?  What type of perspective would that give me on my life and my day to day activities.  Barbara Johnson once wrote, " Attitude is the mind's paintbursh; it can color any situation".  What color are you painting? 


"Instead of being frustrated and overwhelmed by all that is going on in our world, go to the Lord and ask Him to give you His eternal perspective."   (Kay Arthur)  If we take the time to see our lives through the Lord's eyes, what a difference that would make. 

So today, when you feel yourself getting overwhelmed with your schedule, and you're not sure what you're going to fix for dinner or how you'll get the laundry folded before crashing into bed, take heart, be still, take a deep breath and remember the story of Martha and Mary.  I think we all need more Mary moments in our lives, don't you?


Heavenly Father, please give me wisdom and perspective.  Keep me mindful that Your will and truth is forever and that when life gets busy, I just need to stop and look up to You.  Guide me according to Your plans for my life so that I may have the time to be still with You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment