Have I mentioned lately how much I love my husband? When God placed us on the same path, oh the plan he had for us. Not only is Chris my best friend, he is my constant rock. We've been married nine years and we can still sit across the table from each other and have a simple conversation that leads to the strengthening of our relationship. Take this past weekend for example. We don't (or at least try not to) spend a lot of money on ourselves but this weekend, we went out to dinner Friday night and lunch Saturday and Sunday. No, this is by no means the norm and is not the expectation for either of us but sometimes, you just need time to sit and talk. We needed some time for us to enjoy each others company. Now, in my defense, Friday nights splurge was due to our anniversary. But getting back to the point...I treasure the conversations I can have with my husband. I look forward to hearing his responses to my questions and concerns. I find comfort in knowing that he is genuinely interested in what we are talking about and that he hears what I am saying and can give me the right amount of support.
Today's conversation was about legacy's. It all started when we were discussing church services this weekend. Pastor Cam asked us to think about one person we could pray for that would find Jesus. As I was sitting in the worship center, one name came upon me, was impressed upon my heart. Jon-boy. It was as if my MIL, Sue, was whispering it to me as a reminder that this is a relationship in progress with Jon. Jon is always on my mind and always on my heart. Jon-boy is what she used to call him and that is what I wrote on the prayer wall. I shared this with Chris expecting him to look at me like I was crazy, but he didn't. I went on to share how whenever we talk about Sue, I admire her legacy she left behind. Not every story Chris remembers or shares is wonderful, happy, or heartwarming but regardless, he knew what his Mom stood for. He knew she loved him. He knew she would be there for anything he needed. And even though he thought for years she was so strict, he respects her for that and loves her even more. I want that type of legacy for Matthew. I want Matthew to look back over his life with me and say, my mom was so strong. My mom loved me no matter what. My mom may have been strict at the time but everything she did was out of love. I want that legacy for me. And as I'm sharing all this with Chris, he just smiled and said, you are writing the pages of that legacy with Matthew every day. Oh how I love him so. He sees more than I do when I look over my relationship with Matthew. Matthew is more difficult now than he was when he was a little boy. He's a young man now full of independence and viewpoints and opinions. I want him to be raised as a strong Christian man and so to get that, if it means I have to be a little harder on him to inflict proper dicipline, than that's what I have to do.
Not every memory any of us have are great. We all have those "ghosts" in the closet that we want to forget. But those memories are what contributed to what we are today. I admire my husband for acknowledging that his life has never been perfect and neither was his Mom but at the bottom of it all, there was love and compassion. My relationships aren't all roses and ice cream, but there is love and compassion at the root of each one of them.
I've noticed that instead of us discussing frivilous things when we find ourselves alone together, we are talking about how great God has been to us. How much we can see God's blessings in our lives. How God is working to mold us and shape us daily.
I am so proud to be married to a man that puts God first in his life. A man that desires more than anything to be the spiritual leader in our home. A man that takes God with him into his work place. A man that lives by the scriptures. And yeah, my man still has his faults but at the root of him, at his deep inner soul, there's God. And with God walking with him, well, that's a legacy that I want to be a part of.
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body.
“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband. Ephesians 5:21-33
No comments:
Post a Comment