It's that time of year again...can you believe it?? Entering into the holiday hoopla season and already I'm seeing so many posts about what people are thankful for as we enter the season of Thanksgiving. It dawned on me though, we are always so thankful for the things that have happened in our lives but aren't there times that we should be thankful for the moments that never happened? I know, sounds like a crazy concept but think about it. I'm sure each of us can think of a moment or even moments in our lives that something didn't work out the way we intended or even wanted. In those moments we were probably questioning God as to why? Why didn't he step in and fix it? Why didn't he do what I wanted him to do? Why didn't he answer my prayer? But if you look back on those moments in time, God's hand orchestrated the entire situation.
In Romans 8:28 it says, and we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. So if we know that God uses everything we bring to him to our good, shouldn't we be thankful for the moments that never were? Those moments that didn't turn out how we thought they should? With this in mind, I would like to create a list of all "those moments that never happened". Because in those moments you can truly see the hand of God. In those moments I feel we are drawn closer to the one who loves us because we are his children.
Joni Eareckson Tada is quoted in saying, "God has His reasons. He has His purposes. Ours is an intentional God, brimming over with the motive and mission. He never does things capriciously or decides with the flip of a coin." How sweet life is when we can look back and see God's plan was so much better than ours. How faithful is our Father in heaven. Even though we are sinners, he still loves us and wants His plan for us.
So, without further delay, here's my list of a few "it never happened moments" for this Thanksgiving season. My list of never happened that I want to cherish and praise God for. Because without this list, I would not be where I am today. I would not be who I am today. I would not be growing closer to God today.
1. Thankful it took Chris 4 months to secure employement in 2009- without that 4 months of learning to trust in God, we would not be on the path we are today. We would have never left our "safe net" and stepped out on faith. We wouldn't have lost everything in an effort to be more focused on God instead of "stuff". We wouldn't have been brought to Savannah and have all the blessings that we have been given here.
2. Thankful for the amicable divorce of my first marriage- if I hadn't had the strength and courage from my Father in heaven to step out as a single parent, I would have missed out on the blessing of this second marriage. Today I can proudly say I am married to my best friend, the spiritual leader in my household, a man that cherishes me everyday and lets me be Jennifer. Marriage is so much sweeter when God is at the center of it. I'm thankful for the lesson and the timing.
3. Thankful that God knows when to heal and when to bring our loved ones home.- Ok, let me clarify that not a day goes by that I don't think about my loved ones in heaven but imagine what life could have been like if they were still suffering here on earth. Imagine the pain that the we, their family around them, would be experiencing. Even though prayers were answered differently than we all anticipated, our loved ones are home. They are celebrating with Jesus in heaven. They are whole and healthy and looking their finest. God's timing is perfect.
4. Thankful for lack of job opportunities.- I've only been a stay at home mom since 2010 and I still try to force things into place. I still keep my eyes open for opportunities to help with the family budget but because that hasn't worked out, I've been able to spend more time serving God. I am better utilizing my time at The Lighthouse at church and with BSF. I walk away from serving and feel at peace and happy and full of such joy. If God had worked out a job, I would be stuck behind a computer all day missing out on opportunities to love and pray with people. God's purpose is perfection.
5. Thankful for the rifts within our family- while these broken relationships are just that, broken, it's an opportunity to share God's love and compassion. It's an opportunity to pray for someone other than what I want. It's an opportunity to see God's glorious healing in his divine and impeccable timing.
One of my favorite verses is in Jeremiah, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Just knowing that in everything, God is there. That God's plan is perfect. That God wants the best for his children. That in and of itself is enough for me to look back over my life and thank him for all the I didn't gets, the have nots, the missed out of, the never happened moments. I am so unworthy of such grace and love but in God's eyes, I am so worthy of so much more.
Lord, You have a plan for my life that is grander than I can ever imagine. Today, I ask that I be reminded that Your purposes and Your will are best for me. When I am confused, give me clarity. When I am frightened, give me courage and strength.. Let me be Your faithful servant, always keeping my eyes focused on you and always seeking Your guidance for my life. Let Your light shine within me regardless of my circumstances, my frustrations, or my struggles. I praise You Lord for Your mercy, Your compassion, and most of all Your grace. And I thank you Lord, for Your perfect timing and perfect plan for my life. Today and always. Amen

No comments:
Post a Comment