I know that I try to make this blog about what's going on in Fort Wayne with the Evoy's but today, today I have to brag about my little man.
Yesterday I went on my first 4th grade field trip. The thought shouldn't have overwhelmed me since I used to be the director of a day care with 168 children, but it did. Matthew came home excited on Tuesday evening to inform me on who was in our "group" for the big trip. Jordan, Wesley, and of course, Matthew. The conversation continued as Matthew told me a little about each child. Jordan, he's really cool mom. He's fun and we play all the time at recess. Wesley, he's a little different and he has green gunk under his fingernails. Oh, and sometimes he doesn't brush his teeth so you have to be careful because sometimes his breath stinks. (obviously this was important information) Whew- got it. So Wednesday morning, up we got and off we went to ride the bus to the History Center and the Allen County Courthouse. There I sat on the bus with my posse, Matthew, Jordan, and Wesley.
I have to say, both children appeared the way Matthew has described. It wasn't until all the chaperones broke up into groups to do the scavenger hunt throughout the History Center that I was floored.
Off we went to jump into the hunt and I realized, Wesley was "different". He was a little slower and needed a little more guidance. But as I watched Matthew and Jordan interact with him, I was impressed. Here's the part where your jaw is gonna hit the ground.
Mrs. Rahrer came through the room to check on us, specifically Wesley. Mrs. Rahrer pulled me aside and told me that Wesley was autistic and to let me know if I needed any help. How very nice of her. I will interject here and tell you that my first thought when I heard that I had been paired with the autistic child was not excitement. I've worked with autistic kids and it's hard work. God bless them, they try so hard. Mrs. Rahrer continued on to tell me why she had paired Matthew up with Wesley.
She paired Matthew up with Wesley because Matthew works so well with him and is so patient. In class, Matthew has a big heart and doesn't get irritated with Wesley like the other kids. Matthew doesn't pick on Wesley like the other kids. In fact, Mrs. Rahrer was amazed at how well Matthew works with Wesley and she went on to state that if Matthew had such a good heart and patience then she knew Wesley would be fine with me.
I'll give you a minute to pick up your jaw....WOW, huh?
I couldn't believe my ears. I didn't know what to say. My son, really? My son who often times opens his mouth in the middle of Walmart with inappropriate comments that horrify me? Could it be that Matthew has taken in a christian way of living to the point where there are no boundaries?
My neighbor posted on facebook that I should be so proud. In this day in age with children typically being ruthless to people who are different. She's right.
I can't take all the credit on how Matthew has accepted this child. It's not me instilling all those values in him. It's a higher power working on him.
It brings tears to my eyes everytime I think about it. Wow...this wonderful child is constantly amazing me with his choices in life. I'm so blessed.
And to end the day on an even higher note, I got thank you letters from all three of the guys. Each of them took the time to write me a little letter saying thank you for spending the day with them. How sweet.
I love being home and able to go on these trips with Matthew. If I weren't given this opportunity, I would have never known what a big heart Matthew shows in school.
Blessed...truly, truly B-L-E-S-S-E-D!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment