Today is the Day....the first day of 5th grade. I have to give the mancub credit, he got up, ate breakfast (after I debated on whether or not the eggs were included in the recall), got dressed and was ready to go 45 minutes before it was time to walk out the door. That evidently was the easy part of the morning.
As we pulled up to the school you couldn't help but notice the modge podge of cars everywhere. What is it with the first day of school and everyone feeling they need to escort their children inside? Are they fearful the won't make it through the doors. Is it that they are afraid that their child(ren) will get lost in the school. Let me take a moment to reassure each of you, there are teachers and administrators EVERYWHERE. No one will get lost and everyone will make it inside. Ok, Ok, so I can see you walking in your kindergartener for the first time. I get that, I did it too. Seriously though, it isn't necessary to walk your child in if they have attended school before.
What started as a lovely morning turned into a very ugly scene as I pulled up into the drop off lane. As Matthew and I watched the new principal open the doors for the children to enter, it was like a series of alarms went off. All the parents in the pick up line exited their cars and all hit their lock buttons at the same time. This is when it hit me that I was stuck BEHIND all these cars. When I say stuck, I do mean S-T-U-C-K. I couldn't move forward and I couldn't back up. Nor was it the correct spot for me to send Matthew out the door. What in the world!?!?!? The only option I had was to get out of my car and ask the person behind me to back up a little so that I could get around the line of cars in front of me. To which their reply (while backing up) was the one fingered salute. Why, thank you and Happy Monday morning to you too. I just smiled, backed up, and started to pull around the line of cars ahead of me. Unbelievable. I was trying to get Matthew dropped off and get my hiney outta the way and that's the thanks I get? How rude! As it was, Matthew had to be dropped off an entire car length from the curb and the entire time he was crossing the street, I was praying that the line up of cars wouldn't move just yet. What is it with people? If you feel you need to escort your child, use the, oh, I dunno, the PARKING LOT! Isn't THAT what it's made for????
OK, back to Matthew. So off he walked into school, heading to room 125, Miss. Clements class. I have to say, he was very excited. And of course, we did the talk all the way to school to remind him to not be chitty chatty, to stay in his seat, to pay attention, but most importantly, have a great day!
He will have a great day. He has homemade fried chicken in his lunch box for lunch and a little reminder that I love him on a bright yellow post it. I can't wait to hear all about it. As he reminded me while he was getting outta the van, he is the KING of the school this year...ha ha ha...cuz ya know, he IS a 5th grader!!
Gee...he's not in a good mood and ready to go is he?
No comments:
Post a Comment