Recently in my Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) class, a thought was brought up....
If Jesus knocked on your door today, would he be pleased with what he saw?
Ponder that for a second. What would Jesus think? Would he be happy or disappointed? Would he congratulate you for living a fruitful life filled with the presence of the Holy Spirit or would he simply close his eyes in distaste and walk away?
I've given this a great deal of thought over the last few weeks and even discussed with Chris what he thinks Jesus would say to us if he was on our front porch. It really does make you stop for a second and re-evaluate your life.
Chris and I have decided to take on this challenge. Face it head on. You never know, Jesus COULD walk right up the front porch. We've had a family meeting and have decided that we need to take a closer look at a lot of the things we do, watch, say, react to, etc, in our home.
We've even coined a phrase in our home now for when one of us catches the other doing/saying something inappropriate, all we have to say is..."I hear a knock", and immediately, we know what we need to change.
Now I know we won't ever have a perfectly run household but I also know that this house has accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and that we ask for forgiveness for our sins. We know that Jesus has accepted our iniquities and our transgressions and died for us. He made the ultimate sacrifice to purify us of our sins. God knows we're not perfect but he does expect a certain amount of perfection from us.
I find it refreshing to be able to have spiritual conversations around the dinner table. I find it absolutely marvelous that Matthew is even on board and invovled. In fact, Matthew is so much more invovled in his own daily lessons on spirituality that it excites me. I love the fact that Matthew comes home from his Viva La Blitz Middle School Ministry program on Wednesday nights and has questions, and comments, and stories to share. It makes me really take a hard look at myself to see if I'm meeting the expectations of my Lord in how I'm raising him, teaching him, guiding him. And as many of you are already aware, Matthew got baptized recently. Yes, he was baptized as an infant but this was his choice to do it again. As he explained it to Chris and I, this was his opportunity to accept Jesus into his heart and wash away his sins and start again. How on earth did I get blessed with such a wonderful young man.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. 3 John 4
I spent the day starting preparations for our first Thanksgiving here in Savannah. I baked my pies, boiled my eggs, and gave a little T.L.C to our turkey. The entire time, I kept thinking about how much we have to be thankful for. Last year in Indiana, we were thankful to have a job, wherever it was. This year, our lives have grown so much, we have so much more to be thankful for.
1. I'm thankful for the growth I've experienced in my marriage. To have a husband who is just as dedicated to our relationship as I am is truly a blessing to be thankful for.
2. I'm thankful for my son. While I do, as any mother, have days where he completely exhausts me, I also have the privelage of experiencing those days where he utterly amazes me. I have been blessed with a son who is smart, energetic, healthy, happy, and good hearted. For that, I'm truly thankful.
3. I'm thankful that we obeyed God's plan for us. Even though we've questioned it at times, his plan has brought us Savannah. I have to say, Savannah has officially grown on me. I love being able to drive home from soccer practice and see the sun setting over the marshes. I love the southern charm this area provides. And while I can't say that I'm totoally stoked over 84 degree temps in late November, I am stoked that because of this move, we have a job, and endless possiblities ahead of us.
4. I'm thankful for my BSF group. Every Wednesday I find myself getting more and more excited the closer I get to our Fellowship Church. I enjoy spending the time on Wednesdays growing in Christ with fellow Moms who endure the same struggles as me.
5. I'm thankful for our church. Savannah Christian Church has played a remarkable role in "settling" in Savannah. And not just for Chris and I, but for Matthew as well. SCC has helped us grow in our faith as a family and for that I'm truly thankful.
6. I'm thankful for my parents. I'm thankful that they are healthy and still "doing life" together. Not many adults can brag that their parents are still married, and happy, and still growing together. I'm thankful that my parents took the time when I was a child to instill Christian values into me. Without their constant love and support, I wouldn't be the woman I am today.
7. I'm thankful for my in-laws. It has been a tough year for my mother in law but through perserverance and lots of prayer, God has healed her. He's made Sue strong and has kept Wyn strong so that he can support her. I'm thankful that she will hopefully be home by the end of the year and I know that my family can not wait to make a trip to visit her and Wyn, at home and not the hospital.
8. I'm thankful for my Grandparents. I'm so blessed to have them in my life. And even though we are going through struggles and are preparing for our goodbyes, I am able to rest assured that one day, I'll see Grampa again and he will welcome me into the gates of Heaven. But until that time, I will cherish every moment and memory I have and hold them close to my heart.
9. Last of all, among all the things I'm thankful for, I'm most thankful that I am a cherished child of God and that he loves me. Because of the love he has for me, I am able to rest upon him when I am sad, worried, anxious, frustrated, scared, fearful, or angry.
Leave all your worries with him, because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
So, on this Thanksgiving, what will you take time to be thankful for? Will you express your appreciation to those you love? Will you share a meal with family and bless the food that God has provided for you? Will you thank the Lord above for all that you have and all that you are? You should. Just keep in the back of your mind..."I hear a knock"...because you never know...Jesus might just show up at your Thanksgiving table. But of course, if you are truly a Christian, you already know that your Savior has always been with you. He's never left you and he is already sitting with you at your table. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and may your day be filled with all the blessings for good food, good family memories, and good times.
Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. Jude 2
No comments:
Post a Comment