Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Sunday, March 21, 2010

Maybe the Dog isn't so dumb?

Now that we have a backyard more conducive for the dogs, I've decided that it's time that at least one of them learned to fetch. Ok Ok OK, I know many of you that are dog lovers are wondering why in the world our dogs don't already know this. Well, if you think back to the yard at our home in Richmond, they weren't contained so they weren't able to just run free hence the run area Chris created. Our house in Fort Wayne has a nice sized fenced in area that the dogs can run in or as Red likes to do, sun bathe. I must say, it's really nice to be able to open the door and let them out and a few minutes later, let them back in. They are so spoiled these days.


OK, back to the game of fetch. I did some research and found an idea to use a ball that you can put treats inside. The concept is that the dog will want to get the ball because it has the treat but then they can't get the treat out. So off I went to PetCo and after spending a whopping $4.99 was back on my way home to see what I could do.

Out to the backyard I went with dogs in tow and as I introduced the ball to them, I quickly realized that this was going to be a fighting match for the ball rather than a learning session to play fetch. At that point, the decision was made and Red was sent inside. I'm sure the old tale is true, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks but at this point in the game, Bacardi will learn much faster and since I want instant gratification, Red was sent in with Chris.


I started simple with just introducing the ball and everytime Bacardi touched it with her nose, she got praise and a small treat. Then, we worked up to her running after the ball and again, when she touched it with her nose, she received praise and a treat. Slowly but surely, we worked up to throwing the ball and her returning it to me to earn more praise and another treat. After several successful throws, we began just using praise upon the return of the ball. Low and behold, after just a little while, Bacardi started running after the ball and bringing it back. Of course, once Red was let back outside, the game was over but I was still thrilled! Is it possible that Bacardi isn't as "dumb" as we once thought she was? They do say german shepherd's are smart, I mean they are used as police dogs so maybe ours just needed a little one on one time to bring out the smarts in her? Either way, it's great to have the time and energy to spend with the pups...I wonder if she'll remember what to do tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment