Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 6- Adversity

"If God sends us on stony paths, he provides strong shoes"- Corrie ten Boom
In thinking about today's theme of Adversity and God seeing you through the toughest of times, I immediately thought back a few years to my nephew, Parker.  Parker was born a few weeks earlier than anticipated and due to circumstances beyond our control, never got the opportunity to take his first breath of life.  When Parker came into our lives through his birth, he was already an angel in heaven.  This was the first time our family had ever encountered such a devasting loss.  It's bothered many of us for years.  Some of us got angry with God.  Some of us questioned God's plan.  All of us wish Parker's outcome had been different.  But let me tell you what I've seen come from this tradegy.

At the time when Parker was born, there was a need that needed to be filled by his parents.  A need to draw them closer to each other so that they could learn to lean on each other in their marriage.  A  need to learn how to trust each other.  A need to support each other.  Their marriage needed growth that only God could provide.  I remember the day when they came over to the house to tell me they were expecting.  I remember the excitement in their eyes and you could see, this baby was such a joy to both of them.  But then, if this baby was such a treasure, why would God take him away?  As Hannah Whitall Smith once said, "Often the trials we mourn are really gateways into the good things we long for".  Each of us has mourned the loss of someone we loved.  We have to struggle with this everyday but out of that struggle, God opens opportunities for us to seek him. 

After we lost Parker, I was afraid for both my brother and sister in law.  And even though I was afraid, I was amazed by their strength.  I knew I never could have held my head so high in such a loss.  But instead of them turning on each other, they turned towards each other.  They grew closer in their marriage and I have to say, I think their marriage is so much stronger today than it was just a few short years ago. 

In Romans 5:3-4 is says, We also have joy with our troubles, because we know that these troubles produce patience.  and patience produces character, and character produces hope.  Whenever I read this verse, I think of Chris and Krystal.  They have experienced trouble, but because of those troubles they became patience and through their patience, they were given hope.  Hope in a small little bundle of joy that was born last October.  Through all their pain God met them and walked them through the next door.  For we all know, when God closes one door, he opens another that he wants us to go through. 

Jackson Allen Johnson was born on October 7, 2011.  A healthy and absolutely beautiful gift from God.  Through perseverance and strength, Chris and Krystal were rewarded.  Because they never gave up on each other and instead turned inward towards each other, God gave them the most prescious gift of all.  Jackson will never understand what a gift he is to his parents.  He'll never be able to comprehend the amount of hope he represents but I can tell you this, he will be showered by so much love by his parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends.  He is the proof that when you trust, hope, and have patience, God will provide. 

There was a reason God took Parker from us.  We have to be content in knowing that Parker was part of a plan and that God's plans always prevail.  We have to have faith that God knows what he is doing.  It is not our job to question, but rather to trust.  "We all go through pain and sorrow, but the presence of God, like a warm, comforting blanket, can sheild us and protect us, and allow the deep inner joy to surface, even in the most devastating circumstances"- Barbara Johnson. 

Listen to your father, who gave you life,
and do not despise your mother when she is old.
Buy the truth and do not sell it—
wisdom, instruction and insight as well.
The father of a righteous child has great joy;
a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.
May your father and mother rejoice;
may she who gave you birth be joyful!  Proverbs 23: 22-25


I hope in writing all of this that I have not upset Chris and Krystal but rather given them the opportunity to see my views on what they've experienced.  Through sorrow, they were blessed.  Our God is a faithful God, always...

Heavenly Father, You are our strength and our refuge.  As we journey through this day, may we know that while we may be troubled or forced to face disappointments and losses, let us always turn to You.  Keep us steady, Lord, and renew in us a right spirit.  Please continue to bless Chris and Krystal with their marriage and watch over Jackson as he begins growing in your light.  Protect them with the shadow of your hand, Lord, so that they may continue to walk the path that you have set before them.  In Your Heavenly Name we pray, Amen.



1 comment:

  1. Thank You Aunt Jenn!!! We are not Upset, we like to talk about Parker, It lets us know he will not be forgotten. It means alot to know that people haven't forgotten about him and hopefully never will.

    ReplyDelete