Don't you be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghten you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness. Isaiah 41:10

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phil. 4:19













Sunday, February 14, 2010

He's 10...right?

I've had a few days to adjust to Matthew going to the sledding hill. Sledding hill you ask? Where in the Fort is a hill? Believe it or not, in our neighborhood. This is good and bad. Good because Matthew can walk to it, bad because I can't see it from our front door. Matthew has gone sledding at least 3 times. This is the same sledding hill I lost him at when he disappeared with the neighbor lady. Since then though, he has gone without a mom. Ok, OK, OK, I can sense the OH MY GOSH's from everyone. Let me remind you that Matthew is 10 and hasn't done anything to lose our trust. Plus, he doesn't go down there without his walkie talkie. We are in constant contact. He lets me know when he gets there and let's me know when he's on his way back. So far, he's done really good with this independence. Dad on the other hand, isn't handling this well.

This afternoon, Matthew went down with the kids to sled and of course, took the walkie talkie but Dad was on pins and needles the whole time. In fact, at one point, he used the dogs as his excuse to take a walk. So off we went, dogs in tow. And I have to point out that the dogs wore their harnesses that were purchased for the move and walked so nicely. I got special kudos for making that purchase since Chris' arm wasn't ripped off halfway through the walk!!!!

OK, back to Matthew. I'm proud of him for making good choices with this new found independence and I'm proud of myself for not freaking out like mom's do. I do say a prayer each and every time he leaves the house and this I'm sure will never stop. But he's 10 and I have to let him go and grow and learn to make good solid christian choices. He can do it, he's a good boy. And Chris, he'll learn to let go a little just as I have. It's a new step in our parenting and I'm excited yet anxious to go through this with Matthew. He's got a good head on his shoulders (most days!), I know he'll do great!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment